When can I Apply?
Office hours vary. Appointments are strongly encouraged.
Please call the Municipal ID Office at 732-745-5108 x29 to make an appointment.
Walk-ins are accepted, but please call before coming to ensure there is someone in the office.
Will My Information be Safe?
Yes! The New Brunswick ID Program will not retain copies of the documents you present to apply for the ID.
What Documents Can I Use?
You will need at least 4 points to prove identity and 2 points to prove residency in New Brunswick. All of the documents must be original, current or if expired, said expiration must be two (2) years or less from the date of presentation. Please note that applicants must be at least 14 years old. The IDs are valid for a term of two (2) years from the date of issuance.
Four (4) Points - Identity & Two (2) Points - Residency
- U.S. State Driver’s License or Learner’s Permit with Photo ID
- U.S. State Identification Card
Three (3) Points - Identity
- Consular ID card with photograph
- Visa (current) or current U.S. Work Permit
- National Identification Card (must have photo, name, address, date of birth and expiration date)
- New Brunswick ID Card (Information change or renewal)
- Birth Certificate (U.S.)
- U.S. Permanent Resident (Green Card)
- U.S. Citizenship and Naturalization Certificate
- U.S. Federal Government or Tribal issued photo ID
- State Veterans ID with photo
- Temporary Protected Status (TPS) Card with photo
- U.S. Military Identification Card
- U.S. or Foreign Passport
- City of New Brunswick Employee ID card (Current)
- NJ Boating License
Two (2) Points - Identity
- Proof of a minor enrolled in New Brunswick Public or Private School
- Foreign Driver’s License
- Prisoner ID card
- Face Sheet (formerly incarcerated release form)
- Foreign Military Identification Card with photo
- Birth Certificate (Foreign)
- NJ Valid Auto Registration
One (1) Point - Identity
- ITIN Card (must be accompanied by an ID with a photo)
- Written, notarized verification issued by family member, church, hospital, health care, social service agency, homeless shelter (limit of one per applicant).
- Social Security Card
- Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) Card
- High School or College Diploma
- Voter Registration Card
- Unemployment Photo ID Card
Two (2) Points - Residency in New Brunswick
- Utility bill with name and address
- Cable bill
- Auto Insurance Card
- Notarized Residential Lease
One (1) Point - Residency in New Brunswick
- Insurance Bill
- Bank Statement
- Employment Pay Stub
- Local property tax statement
- Income Tax filing form
- Original documents from any of the following: Health or Social Services organization such as a social worker, church, shelter or family member (in care of) letter confirming applicant is a New Brunswick resident (limit of one per applicant)
What are the fees?
Applicant Adult: $20
Renewal Adult: $10
Seniors, Veterans, and Children: $7
Card Change: $7
Lost, Stolen, or Damaged: $10
Payment by cash or money order only.
Where can I get an application?
What are the Benefits of the Municipal ID?
The New Brunswick Municipal ID verifies that you are a resident of the City of New Brunswick.
The ID is accepted identification to all City of New Brunswick buildings, New Brunswick Public Schools, for the New Brunswick Police Department, the Robert Wood Johnson Fitness & Wellness Center, and to hospitals in New Brunswick. Certain banks in New Brunswick also accept the ID, including: Bank of America, Wells Fargo, New Millennium, Two Rivers, Investors, and Bank of Princeton (Bank of Princeton is the first to go a step further and accept it as Primary ID for new accounts). Download a list of places where the ID is accepted.
The ID will also serve as a library card, providing access to the services and materials offered by the New Brunswick Free Public Library.
Birth Certificate Translation Service
Need to have your original birth certificate translated from Spanish to English? Ask the Municipal ID Office staff for an appointment! (This services begins Monday, June 19, 2023.) Download the procedure here for more details.