In Search of Earth's Secrets
In Search of Earth’s Secrets is a traveling exhibit that will be housed at the New Brunswick Free Public Library and the Rutgers Geology Museum from April 25 through May 21. There will be 3 interactive kiosks at each location at which children and adults alike can discover what lies beneath the ocean. See what scientists aboard the ship JOIDES Resolution have learned about the earth’s past, the effects of tsunamis and earthquakes, and other fascinating facts by drilling the ocean floor and studying the earth’s core.
Be on the lookout for an inflatable version of the ship at various events in the city, including Rutgers Day and the Cinco de Mayo Festival, to learn more about the JOIDES Resolution and the exhibit. Be sure to pick up an exhibit passport at any of the locations and collect stickers to fill it by visiting all 6 kiosks. Join us on this fun and fascinating journey as we discover Earth’s secrets!
- April 28 is Rutgers Day! The inflatable ship will be on Voorhees Mall near College Avenue.
- May 2, 4:00 - 8:00 p.m. Late Night at the Museum. Visit the Geology Museum for Ocean Exploration Late Night. Learn how scientists discover secrets beneath the ocean’s surface! Free and open to all ages. Inflatable ship will be on Old Queens outside Geology Museum.
- May 6, 12:00 - 6:00 p.m. Cinco de Mayo Festival at the New Brunswick Free Public Library and Monument Square Park. Inflatable ship will be on Livingston Avenue next to Monument Square Park.
- May 8, 7:00 p.m. Journey to the Deep Sea, a presentation by Dr. Ramaydalis Keddis, Teaching Instructor in the Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology at Rutgers University.
- May 12, 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m., and 3:00 p.m. Presentation by children’s author Kevin Kurtz, who has spent time on the ship JOIDES Resolution, on which the exhibit is based. Inflatable ship will be in the library parking lot.
- May 15, 4:00 p.m. Live Broadcast from the Ship! Take a live virtual tour of the JOIDES Resolution, currently off the coast of New Zealand, with one of the scientists on board.
- May 15, 7:00 p.m. Geology Rocks! Join Dave Shapiro, president of Friends of Mineralogy, NJ Chapter, for a presentation on local geology.
- May 19, 12:00 - 4:00 p.m. Family Day at the Museum. Tour the Geology Museum and visit the kiosks and the inflatable ship for the final weekend of the exhibit!